Windows users, There’s a new exploit in town!

There is a newly found vulnerability that effects Internet Explorer, Outlook, Outlook Express and even the Windows’ OS itself. Actually, the discovery isn’t that new, the flaw was reported on 20 Dec. 2006 to Microsoft.

The short answer is to make sure antivirus definitions are up to date. All major AV vendors had an update over the weekend for this new attack vector. Avoid using Outlook Express if at all possible because the exploit will fire even if viewing in text mode. Use Outlook in text mode, and only use IE for going to known safe sites.

Microsoft says there will be a patch today. This must be a big threat for MS to release a patch out of cycle, which is normally the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

One response to “Windows users, There’s a new exploit in town!”

1. jimgroom says:

Hey Clay,

I can’t think of anything cooler than blogging IT security at UMW. Welcome to the blogosphere, it’s good to have yet another UMW blogger on the scene.

Another thing, I have to login to wordpress.com to post a comment -might you be able to open up this option? My real blog is at bavatuesdays.com.
    Best,
    Jim Groom